Wednesday, September 16, 2009

***BIDDING

This is a wonderful avenue of giving advice to folks about the term "vintage" and what to expect. I wish I could insert it into my auctions but I'm just a tad "wordy" for lack of a better term.First, if you're like me, I love vintage items!!! Whether it be pottery, clothes, retro kitchen decor, it is so much fun to search out these little treasures. And the best part is being able to offer them for auction in the eBay community.Now what really is vintage?!? You know, I really couldn't tell you where the term came from?!? But it is important to note that the term "vintage" is entirely different from "antique." Antiques are meant to be 100 years or older, and vintage, at least 20 years or older. I really don't like to say this, but the term "vintage" is used quite loosely sometimes.As with any thing else, as a probable Buyer of a vintage item, it is so important to really know what your getting. First, there are a lot of reproductions out there of many things. You really need to research and do your homework before placing a bid on an item being advertised as "vintage." Usually, if you passionately collect one or two items, you'll know if it's the real thing as you have specific knowledge in those areas. However, if you just happen to like what you see and are not comfortable in bidding, PLEASE contact the Seller. The majority of us love inquiries and are able to provide you with more history especially if it's an estate item. The other thing to closely look at is the Seller's description.Condition is so, so important! You don't want to find a nice piece of vintage glass you just purchased having a chip if the chip wasn't expected. If you're not comfortable with the Seller's description pertaining to condition, please be sure to ask! We really don't mind. In fact, it lets us know that folks are watching, and more importantly, interested in what we have listed.The mainproblem that I have foundabout buying and selling vintage items,is the view the Seller may have about the item, can be vastly different than yours. For instance, I love patina and items that show their age, such as brass as an example. It sort of verifies the history and age which to me, makes the item even more desireable. Outside of maybe cleaning it with a damp rag, I don't like to scrubbrass itemsas I like folks to see it in the raw.Well, I may think it's a beautiful item, and you may think "what in the world did she send me?" Please note that I'm not asking you to accept a dirty, filthy item. But do you see the beauty of this old piece as I do? This can really create differences between the Buyer and Seller. Be sure to take a good look at the pictures, and again, please ask any specifics about the item you can think of. Also, don't be afraid to ask for more pictures. Most Sellers would be more than happy to oblige!I cannot leave out vintage clothes, linens, and fabrics either. Are there any stains, holes, rips, tears, etc.? I know that most Sellers wash all items that are fabric unless otherwise noted. In fact, it should be noted and if it isn't, ask. Age/storage stains can be a real issue. If you are told the stain could probably come out, be very cautious - "caviat emptor." Buyer beware! You can almost bet that the Seller has laundered the item, and if we can't get out the stain, it probably won't come out. I hope this little tutorial on "vintage" is somewhat helpful to you. The best thing to do again,is tocontact us Sellers about any questions you may have. Communication is the main ingredient for a successful transaction between a Buyer and Seller.HAPPYSEARCHING ANDBIDDING!la-boo-teek

Orignal From: ***BIDDING

No comments:

Post a Comment