Saturday, August 29, 2009

Twinkie's Toolbox: Depression Glass ~ Americana

I adore glass and it's something that I am always on the lookout for when I go 'tiquing. I recently found a massive collection of depression glass, something that I have always admired, but didn't know enough about to purchase confidently.

I bought the lot - and it's been quite a process learning the ropes. There were so many manufacturers and not much hard-core information. I'll be the first to admit that I made a few mistakes, and now I am incredibly careful about not calling something Fenton if I can't guarantee that it is. I'll say it has a "blue-ish tint" and when possible, show another piece without that tint for comparison.

You really have to know some basic fundamentals and history of American glass manufacturing to avoid reproductions - some of which can be quite convincing in appearance. My little guide isn't a substitute for a comprehensive, specialized sourcebook (and there are many) but it is a quick jump start, especially since most of this isn't marked.

As for "original labels" I am always a little leery about that, but that's a personal opinion. I find the oddest things in my travels, and I wouldn't be surprised to stumble upon a full sheet of original labels. How well glued on are they, and is there residue from the back of the label on the glass? Prior to photographing anything, I usually give anything a good cleaning.

My best advice? Ask questions and ask to see close-up photographs. Ask if the hobnails are intact. Has the dish or goblet been tested for leaks? That's easy to do - just add water...and wait.

The opacity milky, or "moonstone" depression glass is from adding ash or tin oxide in the firing process. Other coloring agents or even a quirk in the firing process can cause the glass to range in hue - blues, greens and even blackish marks aren't uncommon.

But - just because one piece of opalescent has a blue cast - does not guarantee that it is Fenton, either. I noticed that when I photographed six candlesticks. I tried to match them up so that the pairs looked right, but one kept jumping out. It was so blue, it didn't fit. Too bad I didn't have two of those ;)

Pressed glass refers to the mold. Typically, you will notice lines running across both sides of a piece. The key to distinguishing an authentic vintage piece from a good reproduction are the "straw marks" on the bottom. These are imperfections that look like straw - long, imperfections or lines - and are clearly visible. IF you find pressed glass with mold markings along the bottom of the piece - it's a reproduction. IF you find a piece that looks absolutely perfect with no lines, waves, or bubbling - it's a reproduction.

Look for imperfections in the glass - striations of any sort, especially on handles

Orignal From: Twinkie's Toolbox: Depression Glass ~ Americana

No comments:

Post a Comment